Thursday, January 3, 2008

January 1, 2008 - Selamat Tahun Baru!

Selamat Tahun Baru!!!!!!! Happy New Year to you all. We have been in 2008 now for 11 hours and you are still in 2007! I guess you are just behind the times.
I am excited for the new year. When I was taking to the kids about the new year Sophie said, "So, Mom, what are we going to do this year?" Great question. It is a beginning. I LOVE new beginnings.

What a perfect opportunity to start over or refocus. I don't usually make resolutions but I always assess the year and reflect on the good and the bad and think and pray about not making the same mistakes twice. I think about what I can improve. I don't make a list necessarily, but I do write down things I want to pray about changing.
I am always praying for patience. I never seem to have enough. And I always ask God to help me be a better wife and Mom.

Being here has been so good for our marriage. I think in the States I would often put the kids before Garth. I am seeing that that is not how God designed the family. I need to have my family in the right priority-God never intended for Garth to come last. So much can happen in one year. Believe me I know. I told Sophie that God has awesome things planned for us this year. We need to be open to see where He wants to lead us. God is good at leading adventures. Who would have thought we would be in Indonesia? Where will we be next year? Please pray with us that we would know what He wants us to do.

We had a nice New Year's Eve party at our house. I made some munchies and then we all went outside to shoot off the fireworks but it started to pour, so we tried for awhile but the rain was putting out the flame. We will try again tonight. The city of Sentani shot off fireworks all night-the rain didn't matter to them. It was a noisy night, but the kids slept through it so that is good news.

If any of you are looking for a break from the cold and snow-let me know. I have the perfect tropical getaway for you -(Sentani)-and I know of a very hospitable hostess -(me)-that would love to put you up. My family will be here on Sunday. That is the best news I have heard all year! I absolutely can't wait! I hope you have something great to look forward to-like a new year. A brand new year. That is a treasure. Enjoy the days. You never know when someone you hold dear will be moved all the way on the other side of the world and you won't get to see them everyday. I miss you all terribly. Can't wait to see you again.
Love
Rachel

No comments: