Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Big Event

There are many times in my life when time is defined by events. This month in particular. There was so much packed in - some major events, (JSB, 8th Grade Celebration...) and some minor (Band concert, choir concert...). And now here I am. About to go to the last event. A BIG event. Graduation. Tonight. We have everything decorated. All of the gowns ironed. Chairs set up... I have come to realize that it is going to happen whether I want it to or not.  One of the boys graduating we first got in the dorm when he was 11. He is one of Wyatt's best buds. Good-byes here are so very hard. It is not like in America where your friend tells you they are going to school in Ohio, and you say, my Grandma lives in Ohio-maybe I will see you when we go there for Christmas...
It is different here. These kids are moving to a different country. Leaving their family behind. Leaving everything familiar behind. They have to learn how to drive, and get a license, get a job. Some have to become a legal citizen of their new "home",  figure out how Mom and Dad can afford for them to go to college on a missionary salary, adapt to a new culture, new foods, new ways of doing everything, and study and learn....AAAHHHHHH!
In this group of 10 Seniors graduating today listen to all the countries represented-Korea, USA, Singapore, United Kingdom, Netherlands, and Canada. I have heard it said that when missionary kids see flags, they see people. It is so true! After Grad our friends will scatter all over the world. And it is sad. It makes our hearts hurt.  Wyatt is losing the most. So many of his dear, close friends will be gone in a day or two. Pray for him when you think of it. Pray for these kids. They have a tough road of transition ahead of them. And pray for all those left behind.
Next year, I will be a Mom in the audience watching my Son graduate. I will be the one wondering if I taught him everything he will need to know. I will be crying huge buckets of tears wondering where all the time went. But, not yet. I still have one more year. 12 months to have no regrets. To enjoy, appreciate, & teach before he is gone. Pray for us to do a good job. Not to waste this year. To help Wyatt become the man God wants him to be. Roots and wings. Maybe God wants to use you to speak into his life. Please don't hesitate to share words of wisdom, advice, stories of hope with him. YOU matter. And we appreciate you.
I better go. Don't want to miss this!
Love,
Rachel

No comments: