Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Tangles

The other day Cale was rollerblading around the Hostel and he rolled over a blue shoelace.  Very quickly the shoelace wrapped itself around the wheels so tightly that he could no longer go.  He came over to me asking me if I would please get the lace out of his wheels.  I tried pulling it but it was too tightly wrapped up around everything.  So I realized that I was going to have to cut it.  I cut a few pieces and removed them.  But it didn't do any good.  I needed to cut it all and pull it all out.
That started me thinking about the verse in Hebrews 12 where it says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us..."  It is so easy to get entangled by sin, we skate too close to it and before we know it we are stuck and can't go forward.  Cutting out just a little bit won't do it.  We need to "throw off", get rid off EVERYTHING that hinders and entangles.That is the only way we will be able to do the rest of the verse: "Run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Boy, you should have seen how fast Cale could skate once I removed that string!  There was nothing to hold him back.  That is how I want to be.


No comments: