Friday, November 19, 2010

My Disguised Blessing

My days have been filled with bed rest.  Apparently, the only treatment for dengue is rest, and more rest, and lots of liquids.  If you don’t get vast amounts of rest this sickness can last for months and months.  I do not want that so I spent yesterday and today in bed.  Some people would love the excuse to lay low and do nothing, but not me.  I am finding it extremely difficult.  I would lay there thinking about all of the things I would like to be doing. Then I decided to make the most of my time.  In between naps, I have been going through the book of Matthew and Psalms and writing verses that mean something to me and hanging them around the bedroom.  Verses like:  “I lie down and sleep.  I wake up again, because the Lord sustains me.”  “…When you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent.”  I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”  I also had quite a few friends drop off old magazines that they were finished with so I would have something to read.  There was a strange assortment in the pile; from the Asian version of Reader’s Digest to National Geographic, Canadian Living and Fly RC.  Interesting.

This has actually turned into a blessed time.  Tomorrow will be spent the same way and the next…I am so fortunate that there is an end in sight.  As my Mom always says, “These things too shall pass…”  I am not getting any worse.  So there is much to be thankful for.

I have been having cherished moments with the kids as they take turns laying with me and talking.  I love it.  Before I know it, they will be gone and I will remember with such fondness this time I had with them.  A blessing in disguise!

Love you all

Rachel

No comments: