Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Gymnastics

My girls, Emma and Sophie, have decided to take gymnastics.  There is a lady here that teaches a class on Mondays.  I was excited because it was something my sister and I did for many years when we were younger.  It was a ton of fun and we always enjoyed it (except for the chest rolls, right Carlena?).  Anyways, little did I know it would be so difficult for Sophie.  This is the girl that her whole life, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING has been easy for her.  But not gymnastics.  She couldn’t even do a proper somersault.  Seriously.  This was a new feeling for her and she got very frustrated and wanted to quit.

I, of course, would NOT let her quit.  “Stick it out and keep trying, Girlie!”  So after school for the last few days I have been working with her, stretching my own muscles into handstands and other strange bendy shapes to help her learn these moves so she no longer feels “like the only one that can’t do it”.  I asked her what was holding her back from just getting out there and trying and she said FEAR.  Fear of what?  Getting hurt or doing it wrong, she said.  Really?  Yup.  That is what she said.  In my head, I am thinking, “How hurt can you get doing a somersault?”  To me it didn’t make sense.  But, in her head that fear is very real and it was holding her back.

What fear in my life is keeping me from giving my all, trying my hardest, and being willing to just go out there and make an honest effort?  Sometimes it just seems easier to let someone else do it.  Especially if they are doing it “just fine.”  But, when I allow that, I am not being stretched.  The easy way out is not always the best way out.

Now after three weeks of gymnastics, Sophie is feeling a lot more confident and a lot less fearful.  I have learned from her how important it is to overcome your fears.  You just have to change your mind about how big you will let them be.  Life can be so much more fulfilling without fears blocking the way.

Love you

Rachel

clip_image001clip_image002clip_image003clip_image004

No comments: