Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ramadan

We are approaching the end of Ramadan here.  It is the Islamic month of fasting, where Muslims refrain from eating, drinking and sexual relations from dawn until sunset. Fasting is intended to teach Muslims about patience, humility, and spirituality. It is a time for Muslims to fast for the sake of  Allah and to offer more prayer than usual. During Ramadan, Muslims ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance and help in refraining from everyday evils, and try to purify themselves through self-restraint and good deeds.  It is always celebrated with much feasting on a holiday called Idul fitri.  People travel all over to be with family during this time.  In many parts of the world, including many places in Indonesia, they are not allowed to even swallow their spit during daylight hours.  Fortunately It is not as strict here where we are.

The dorm kids will all be gone during Idul Fitri.  The hostel is closed and they will be with either their parents or their guardians.  We enjoy them, but it also nice to have a time of relaxing where it is just our family.  I love being able to make breakfast in my jammies.  That is one thing I can never do when we have a dorm full of kids.  Isn’t it funny how little things can be so fun sometimes?

Being in Indonesia this time of year when there are so many Muslims all around me makes me so thankful that I can go to God whenever I mess up and ask for forgiveness and I can know for sure that he hears me and will forgive.  Even if it is the same thing I keep messing up over and over…(which is so very me.)

God doesn’t hold it against me.  He doesn’t love me any less.   In fact, it is just the opposite.  He is tenderly waiting for me to confess and come back to Him.  That is love.

Love you-

Rachel

If you have time today read Psalm 32 :1-5

No comments: