Sunday, August 2, 2009

Not Exempt

I just want you to know that if you think our family is exempt from things other families go through, you are wrong. We are not! The last two days have proved that. For some reason the kids have been horrible. Sophie seems to try to find what bugs Cale and then do it, over and over. Wyatt has had an attitude about everything. And Emma has been emotional and whiny. Cale, who knows he has to obey the first time, has decided it is more fun not to. So, if you know us, you know that these offenses cannot go unpunished so we have spent much of our days disciplining and trying to correct this behavior. Yesterday was crazy busy. We are still in the midst of getting our kitchen redone. The termites have eaten away at our counter and cabinets so for the past 9 days we have had workers going in an out with muddy boots, and sledge hammers and a wheelbarrow…and we had a visiting family coming over for dinner last night. It was a challenge but I had the whole meal done on time. Right when Garth was finished praying, Cale decided to throw a racquetball right at the table, knocking Emma’s full glass of purple Kool-Aid all over everything. What a mess!
Today, we had Indonesian class along with a Hostel Meeting, and again the kids were all at it. While Garth was playing racquetball, I had told the kids we could walk down to the mall and play in the play area and then look for shirts for school. However, the half hour before we were about to leave they turned it up a notch and were being worse than ever. So, I changed my mind and told them we were going to stay home and do chores instead. I had Wyatt and Sophie sweep and mop the floors and Emma, Cale and I cleaned out the refrigerators. Now, some of you may think this is cruel of me, but there is no way that I can reward bad behavior. It was a very GOOD lesson for them. Afterward we spent a lot of time talking through the whole thing, had a wonderful dinner together, and a great time of devotions as a family before bed. Garth kept stressing that our actions have consequences. God has awesome things planned for us but when we selfishly whine and complain and cause problems we miss out on it. I feel like God uses times like this to remind me that there are always eyes watching me-the little eyes of my kids and the ever watchful eyes of God. What do they see? I know that many times I would be ashamed at what they see, and I need to be more careful with my own words and actions.
Life is too short to only be thinking about yourself/myself and what makes you/me happy. I have a saying in my Bible that reads: “God didn’t put me on this Earth to see how happy I could make myself!” Alright, enough from me today, time to go.
(You know, I am writing this as much to myself as to you.)
But now, I must go see what Cale is calling me for.
Love you all-
Rachel

No comments: