Saturday, August 29, 2009

Change

Most of us do not like change. I am the kind of person that thrives on routine and having things planned out so that I feel prepared, but I also enjoy moments of change. Especially here where things can get very ordinary, almost too routine. Even the craziness of life here at the hostel: No water, no pembantus, bathrooms that don’t work, days of rain, language barriers etc. can be a welcome change if they are temporary because it forces me to take the “problem” and figure it out. I like to do that. But when the “problem” drags on and on, I find myself getting more and more upset. On that note, here is an update to some of my past frustrations. The kitchen is finished, our cook is back (however, we are still missing our other kitchen helper…), the shower and sink in our family bathroom is fixed, (not the toilet), and we are still real low on water, (but I hear thunder in the distance- a few good days of rain and we will be set for awhile).
On the topic of change, there are some changes about to take place back home that I am excited about. Excited is not even close to how I really feel- more like eager, thrilled, ecstatic, elated, bouncing off the walls, going through the roof, overjoyed, rapturous, jubilant (to name a few of my emotions). My sister and her husband are finally going to get the baby they have prayed so long for. God is so good and His timing is perfect. Our family is about to expand. This will be one over-loved child! Please pray that everything goes according to God’s great plan!
In church on Sunday the guy who spoke talked about a common practice in Mali is to invite people over for dinner. The food is served in a large bowl in the middle of the table. The rice on the bottom and the veggies, and meat piled on the top in the middle. Everyone eats with cupped hands the pie shaped portion that is in front of you. A good host will push the yummy pieces of meat and veggies down into your pie hole so you can eat the best. That is a perfect example of what God wants for us. He has immense blessings that He wants to push down to us-yet I know that sometimes we are so busy rushing about that we snarf down the rice and run, instead of sitting at His feet, enjoying Him, getting to know Him, and waiting for the blessings.
I don’t want to snarf and run. I want to sit and be blessed. How about you?
Love you all-
Rachel

No comments: