Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 24, 2008 - What I have been learning

There is something great going on at our church this week. We have a special group from Life Action doing meetings in the evenings at 6:30, and they have been wonderful. Last night the speaker was talking about how we all have a thirst for something (like an emptiness) in our lives and we try to fill it with different things like food, clothes, things, attention, affection, even our own busyness, etc. but that longing is never truly satisfied. It is a longing in our heart for something more. The only thing that will truly fill that hole and give us real satisfaction is God. Not the God that some people think-He is not waiting to hit us over the head with a club when we do wrong or sitting up in Heaven shaking His big, long finger at us-it is the God that loves us so much that He wants the best for us, He wants to change our life. The speaker asked, “Where is your heart?” He said, “Look at your checkbook and you will see.” He also asked, ”How thirsty am I for God?, Where do I run when I need satisfaction?” People and things will not give me true satisfaction. My heart will be restless until it rests in God.
We studied the story in John 4 about the Woman at the Well and how God cared about her even though she was living a life of sin. That story shows that if you come to God and give Him a chance, He is the One that can fill your deepest longing. It has been very good for me to hear. I often will run to other things or people instead of God or get too busy to spend quality time with God. He encouraged us to write down a list of the things that we use to try to fill our emptiness. I had 15 things on my list. I am hoping this year to work on that and change it from 15 to 0.
If you live anywhere near us and would be interested, you are welcome to come to the meetings tonight and Wednesday. It is worth it and you won’t be disappointed.
Love to all-
Rachel

No comments: