Monday, June 16, 2008

June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day to all of you! I am so blessed to have been able to spend today with my Dad. He is great! If you don't know him you should meet him. I know you would love him. He helped make me who I am-for sure.
Last night we had a slumber party here as Donald and Carlena spent the night so we were all together for the day. Today we made a spectacular roast for my Dad with lots of trimmings and then had a fun time of presents and the kids put on a show and the crazy ones of the bunch made up a lovely song...I won't go into it. Then some went to the hospital to see Grandpa, and the rest of us went to a park by our old house and went to visit some neighbors we haven't seen in ages. Such fun!
Friday night we had a bonfire and were able to roast marshmallows and make S'mores. Sophie was in heaven with those S'mores. She was about to polish off her third when we stopped her. That girl has sugar in her veins instead of blood.
My Aunt and Uncle from Indiana surprised us and came for the weekend. That was wonderful! I wasn't sure how I would see them this summer so I am so glad they made the trip.
I am having so much fun being in the kitchen again!!!! You have: white eggs instead of brown eggs with bird poop all over them, powdered sugar that is not as hard as a brick, noodles that come in bags instead of making them from scratch, wheat flour, strawberries, veggies that don't have to be soaked for 20 minutes prior to eating, sour cream, cream cheese, goldfish crackers, real milk-not powdered, real vanilla instead of vanilla crystals, and I could go on and on. I am loving it!
My Aunt flew here from Indonesia to see my Grandpa, her Dad. He is not doing so well. The doctor's found out he has a tumor in his head, his kidneys are not doing well, and neither is his heart. He is such a great guy and is loved deeply by his whole family and everyone that knows him likes him. He has played semi-pro ball in Chicago and before he went off to World War 2, he tried out for one of the farm teams of the Cubs. He was called to service before he had a chance to find out if he made the team or not. While he was there he played pick up ball with Vic Wertz. Garth loves to get together with him and talk baseball. Grandpa remembers everything. Selfishly I want to pray for God to heal him, but that might not be the best thing. He is a Christian and his wife, the love of his life, passed away 4 years ago so he is eager to be with her in Heaven. I am sending a picture of my Mom and Sophie with him in the hospital. Amazingly, he got to see all 5 of his kids this weekend. I know that blessed him. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
Love to all-
Rachel

No comments: