Friday, February 14, 2020

Udate #17

Hey everyone. You all have been praying for Wyatt. I am happy to say that this is the best he has felt since he has been sick. So thank you so much. Keep going with the prayers though because Garth has been sick all week. Like in bed sick, achy, bad headache etc. We have done blood work twice and it is not malaria or dengue but it looks like it is just a bad virus. He doesn't get sick much so he isn't a very happy patient.  I will keep you posted.
On a different note. we are coming upon my favorite time of year! OE is almost here. OE stands for Outdoor Education and in case you haven't been reading my emails for the past 12 years I will tell you about it. Every year the whole high school and leaders go into a village for 2 weeks to work and serve, to teach about HIV and AIDS, to set up a medical clinic and a dental clinic, to be with the people and children, to set up clean water systems, help in the schools if they have one, do kids clubs, and literacy camps etc. IT. IS. AWESOME. I love it. I think this will be my 5th (?) time going. My very first year was Emma's freshman year and we went to the same village we are going to this year! How cool is that?!? Now for my last OE and for Sophie's Senior year we get to go again.
We will leave Feb. 24th. There will be just under 100 going. We will all fly in to the village of Kosarek and then break up into groups to hike in to smaller villages. I have posted the link to the promo video Wyatt helped make for the last time we went in there. Check it out.



Here are some pictures of Kosarek from when I went in 2015.












Those are my feet trying to get warm by the fire. One of the village ladies invited us into her home for dinner. While it was cooking in the pot we sat with her and chatted.
And above that is Aldofa holding up the cross she made. She was so excited to have that. Oh, and those kids you guys. Seriously! I can't get enough of the kids. I just eat them up, haha. Not really. DON'T worry. I just really love being with them. They are so loving and accepting. And the picture of the clouds - in Kosarek we are up so high and the clouds are so low it feels like you can touch them. I wish you could come...
There are so many amazing things I want to tell you about OE but I will try to split it up into several emails so they aren't so long. I just feel like I am bursting with excitement and can't wait to share it with you.
 Before I go, I want to show you some pictures of what I have been doing the past few days. Haha. I agreed to make Valentine cookies for a fundraiser at school. When I said yes I had no idea how many would be ordered, but in my head I was thinking maybe 70. Ha. Well, the order is up to 308! So, I have been making and decorating and making and decorating on repeat. Good thing it is for a good cause. So far I have about 256, so I know what I will be doing tomorrow. Haha.


Love you all
Rachel

No comments: