Thursday, August 16, 2018

From Garth

Well, here we are at the end of a fantastic summer furlough.  We have spent so much great time with our whole family together experiencing some great things.  We've visited family in Wisconsin, attended a memorial service for my step mother in New York, spent a fun week at headquarters in Nampa, and visited some beautiful places in the Northwest as we ended up in Vancouver, WA soaking in the love from New Heights.  It's been a great summer.

But now we come to the end of the summer and have to deal with my medical issues.  Up until yesterday, I was so hopeful that my health issues wouldn't get in the way of our returning to our beloved perch on the hill above Sentani in the dorm.  But God has other plans apparently.  On Friday, August 3, I had a prostate biopsy done because of multiple heightened PSA numbers.  Yesterday, the doctor called me to let me know that the test revealed cancer.  I am confident that it is treatable, but it's going to take some time.  I have an appointment to meet with the doctors on the 20th to discuss what treatment plan would be best.

As you can imagine, we are somewhat reeling with the news.  What's going to happen at the dorm?  Should we start Sophie and Cale in public school here?  How long is this going to take?  What's going to happen to our dog Chester?  But we also know that our Father is big enough to handle all those issues and more.
 I know this email will bring up questions, and right now there are a lot of unknowns. As we get information we will be sure to let you know. As of now, just please continue to keep us in your prayers.


Garth for Rachel and the family

No comments: