Tuesday, April 15, 2008

April 14, 2008

I had quite the excitement today. I was on my way to Wyatt’s class to bring him a lunch when I noticed a big snake slithering in front of me on the walkway by the Kindergarten room. I called one of our Indonesian helpers and he grabbed a broom. He was jumping around, hootin’ trying to smack it with the broom. He was smacking at it so hard the broom came off of the handle. The snake was not cooperating, and slithered behind some bushes. The Indonesian then jumped up on the half wall and started to jab it with the broom handle. Finally he was successful in killing it. The timing couldn’t have been better, because seconds after he killed it, the kids were all dismissed for lunch and came flying out of their rooms. When I came home I looked up some info on snakes, and look what advice I found:

If you get bitten by a non-venomous snake, it may hold on for quite a while as it doesn't know what to do. To get the snake off you, either use a metal spoon to pry open its mouth (I don't approve of this as you'll hurt the snake badly by breaking its teeth) or put the part of you that's being bitten into a bucket/bath of water -- the snake won't be able to breath and will let go. Alternatively, just sit down on the ground, relax and wait for it to let go. If you make sudden movements and run around, it will hold on tighter. (As snakes can't hear it's quite ok to scream a lot as the bite will hurt.)

How many of you would be able to sit down, relax, and wait for it to let go?
NOT ME! I can tell you that much. How funny. Relax. Ya, right? It says it is o.k. to scream-I can guarantee that is what I would be doing.
Love-Rachel

No comments: